How Long Do Hair Extensions Last?
What effects how long your hair extensions will last?
I am often asked this question and the quick answer is approximately 3 months. However, the truth is that there are various factors at play here. How long your hair extensions last will depend on a number of factors.
- Application – who and how well
- Method (pre-bonded, tapes, micro rings)
- How often you wash your hair
- How quickly your own hair grows
- Amount of heat and stress applied (blowdrying, curling and straightening)
- How well you care for your hair extensions
- The products you use on the hair
- Your lifestyle (are you a gym-goer, swimmer, horse rider, police constable, cyclist and so on – as hats can irritate the scalp)
- Any medication you are taking (as some can increase hair shedding)
- If you touch and play with your extensions or bonds
The good news is that most of these things are all inside your control, therefore you can ensure your hair extensions last as long as possible.
How Long Do Pre-bonded Hair Extensions Last?
At bond hair we specialise in pre-bonded keratin hair extensions, so I will focus on these. Keratin bonded extensions last the longest in the hair and are favoured by celebrities for their longevity and discretion.
The average recommended wear is 3 months (approximately 12 weeks) but some clients have a new set every 2 months whilst others last their extensions 5 or 6 months.
Can You Re-use the Hair?
In some cases you can.
We have a premium ranges including European hair and Russian hair extensions, both which are high grade, meaning the hair is good enough quality to be used more than once.
Why Re-use Hair?
Many clients who choose this hair re-use the same set 2-4 times.
- Ethics: People take years to grow their hair, so choosing a hair that can be reused rather than thrown away is ideal.
- Cost: Though the cost of high quality hair is more up front, when you factor in that you can then re-use it several times, the price isn’t that far off that of the basic range.
Cost of Re-using Hair Extensions
For example, you may spend £500 on european hair the first time, but the next 2-3 fittings would only cost around £300 (covering the cost of the rebonding and refitting fee). If this hair lasts you 3 times in total, the total spent would be around £366 per set, compared to £299-330 for the basic hair for each set!
We don’t recommend you re-use the basic range hair as the cost to re bond this hair means it would make more sense to purchase fresh hair after 3 months. Expect to pay around £300 for a full head, approx £25-60 for the removal then £300 for the new set and so on.
Hair extensions are addictive, and can be a costly habit. Speak to your technician about the ongoing care and costs before you take the plunge!
What if I Lose Some of the Bonds?
Some people lose a handful of bonds during the 3 months of wear. This can be for any of the reasons listed at the start of this post.
Most of our clients lose 0-10 bonds the whole time they’re in which is great news, but others lose a few more. If you do lose bonds then it’s nothing to worry about. Whilst the extensions are in, your own hair will continue to shed in its usual way.
Did you know we lose on average over 100 hairs every day – these come out in your hair brush and throughout the day and when washing the hair. As this shedding continues some people lose the odd bond along with the shedding of their natural hair.
If you lose a couple of bonds this is entirely normal. If you are losing lots it’s best to contact your technician so she can check your bonds and run over your aftercare routine to ensure you don’t lose any more. If you notice your hair style looks gappy, you can always return to the salon and have these bonds reapplied or have some new ones fitted, there is usually a small maintenance charge for this (approx £50 per hour plus any cost of new hair/bonds).
Try Before You Buy
Unsure about bonds? We offer a FREE Try before you buy service. At consultation we can apply a couple of bonds to your hair so you can see how they feel, before committing to hair extensions.